A123 Systems, LLC develops and manufactures advanced Nanophosphate® lithium iron phosphate batteries and energy storage systems that deliver high power, maximize usable energy, and provide long life, all with excellent safety performance.
Founded in 2001, A123's proprietary Nanophosphate technology is built on novel nanoscale materials initially developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Today, A123 Systems is headquartered in Livonia, MI and employs more than 2,000 people worldwide.
A123 leverages more than 1 million square feet of manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe and North America to mass-produce advanced battery cells and systems to meet increasing global demand.
A123 Systems is a TS-16949 and ISO9001 certified supplier of advanced lithium ion cells and systems designed to help customers quickly and cost-effectively take engineering breakthroughs from conception to commercialization.
- From breakthrough Nanophosphate chemistry to innovations in battery systems management and complete system design, A123 Systems provides game-changing energy storage solutions that deliver a new combination of high power, excellent safety and long life.
- A123 Systems partners with customers to provide complete energy storage solutions that enable the rapid development and delivery of innovative products that meet demand in both existing and emerging markets.
Commitment to Operational Excellence
- At A123, we are dedicated to operational excellence from design and development to production and delivery. A123 continues to invest in equipment and processes to uphold our commitment to providing customers with cost-effective products and services that meet their performance and reliability requirements. Our vertically integrated, state-of-the-art global manufacturing facilities produce high-quality electrodes, cells and battery systems to meet evolving customer requirements for innovative technologies.
- With battery systems operating in vehicles ranging from passenger cars to commercial transit buses around the world, our experienced engineering teams have the expertise to integrate advanced battery systems that deliver premium performance in the field.
Speed of Innovation
- A123 Systems’ engineering team is able to leverage its deep research and development experience and extensive knowledge across customer product platforms to rapidly design and develop new batteries and energy storage solutions that help customers quickly deliver their most innovative products to the marketplace.
Origin of Our Name
A123 Systems owes its name to the Hamaker force constant, used to calculate the attractive and repulsive forces between particles at nano dimensions: